WAIT! Don’t Order Orthodontic Treatment Online Before Reading This
June 12, 2019
It’s easy to do so many things these days with the click of a button. Order shoes! Get a ride across town. Watch your favorite blockbuster movie! It seems like every day there’s a newer and easier way to do almost everything. We’ve been programmed to accept that anything can be ordered online and delivered right to our front door. However, at Arbitman Orthodontics (http://www.arbitmanortho.com/) there is one thing that we believe has no easy replacement: orthodontic treatment. There is no match for a trained, experienced professional when it comes to your oral health.
The American Association of Orthodontists (https://www.aaoinfo.org/) (AAO) agrees. They recently issued a Consumer Alert (https://www.aaoinfo.org/1/online-orthodontic-companies) listing key questions to ask about direct-to-consumer orthodontic companies. You can download a print-friendly version here. (http://res.cloudinary.com/dorhu9mrb/image/upload/v1525201184/AAO_Consumer_Alert_DIY_2018_flier-hl.pdf)
The issue is that many direct-to-consumer orthodontic companies don’t involve the in-person evaluation and/or in-person supervision of your treatment that we provide at Arbitman Orthodontics. In-person supervision and expertise is important because there is more to creating a healthy, beautiful smile than moving the visible portions of your teeth. If not done correctly any dental work can lead to potentially irreversible and expensive damage such as tooth and gum loss, changed bites, and other issues.
The Top 10 Questions To Ask
- As part of your treatment, are comprehensive diagnostic records like x-rays taken before your treatment?
- As part of your treatment fee, do you receive any in-person visits to a dentist’s or orthodontist’s office during your treatment?
- Is only one treatment type offered (such as invisible aligners or a certain appliance)?
- If a dentist or orthodontist is involved with your treatment, do you know the name of the dentist or orthodontist who will be specifically involved with your case (for example, is it available on the company’s website or elsewhere)?
- What are the possible risks (financial, health, etc.) associated with your orthodontic treatment?
- Who is responsible for detecting any issues that may occur during your orthodontic treatment? Is it you? If it is a doctor not associated with your treatment, who pays for those check-ups?
- If a doctor is involved with your orthodontic treatment, how can you contact him or her over the course of your treatment? How can you contact him or her if an emergency arises?
- If an emergency arises, does the company have a dentist or orthodontist in your area that you can see in-person? If not, who would cover the costs associated with seeing a dentist or orthodontist in your area?
- If you are injured or have another dispute involving your orthodontic treatment, how is it handled (litigation, arbitration, etc.) and what rights do you have?
- Does the treatment model comply with the dental laws in your state? To check your state’s dental laws, click https://www.aaoinfo.org/state-laws-and-regulations. Information for your state dental board can be found at https://www.aaoinfo.org/aao/state-dental-board-info.
Where You Receive Your Health Care Is A Very Important Personal Decision
Remember that orthodontic treatment is not a product or device – it is a professional, medical service. Dr. Boris Arbitman (http://www.arbitmanortho.com/office-info/meet-dr.-arbitman.aspx) received his dental training at the New York University College of Dentistry, from which he graduated in 2001 with honors. Upon completion of his D.D.S. degree, Dr. Arbitman furthered his training and experience in advanced dentistry and prosthetics at Long Island College Hospital and St. Barnabas Hospital where he served as Chief Resident. After completing his general practice residency training, he moved down South to Florida’s “First Coast” and completed his Advanced post graduate training in Orthodontics at the Jacksonville University – School of Orthodontics graduating with a Certificate of Advanced Graduate Studies in Orthodontics and Dentofacial Orthopedics. Dr. Arbitman was selected as the chief resident of his orthodontic class both years in Jacksonville. (See our site for details!)
Before making any decision about orthodontic treatment, consider doing some research and having a complimentary in-person consultation at Arbitman Orthodontics. We recognize that all our patients are unique and deserve to receive orthodontic care that reflects their individual needs. Our experienced and talented team is committed to working with you and your family to create a comfortable, stress-free, and rewarding orthodontic experience every time you visit our practice.
Contact us today for a free consultation (http://www.arbitmanortho.com/office-info/appointment-request.aspx) . We’re happy to answer all questions and we’ll make sure you or your child receives the right treatment plan for them.
Thank you SO much!