Orthodontics for Adults
Have you been under the impression that orthodontic treatment is only for teens? Well, think that no longer: adults can benefit from orthodontics. In fact, about 1/5th of all patients are over the age of 21.
Yes, You Can Still Correct Your Smile
The window of opportunity for orthodontic treatment opens at around age seven. However, it never closes. Adults who are worried about the health and appearance of their smile have multiple ways of improving it. And this includes you.
Reasons You Might Be Interested in Orthodontic Treatment
- You have wanted it since you were young but your parents could not afford it
- You feel self-conscious about your smile
- You think that your smile is impacting professional opportunities
- Your bad bite is causing other problems, such as unevenly worn teeth, tooth decay, and jaw pain
- You want to make changes now before you develop health problems due to tooth alignment
No matter your reason for being interested in treatment, we can help you improve your smile and live a better life.
Adults have the same treatment options that teens do. These include:
- Clear braces
- Ceramic braces
- Self-ligating braces
- Lingual (behind the tooth) braces
- Invisible braces
- Traditional metal braces
Not all treatment options can correct all issues, so you will need to work with the doctor to determine which is right in your case.
What Complicates Adult Treatment
Adult treatment is not as easy as treatment with younger patients, or at least it is not in every case. For example, with young children, we can use bone growth to make the process easier, which we cannot do with adult patients. Other issues that can make treatment more complex include:
- Gum loss
- Bone loss
- Gum disease
- Worn teeth
- Missing teeth
- Partial treatment when younger
However, our team knows how to address these issues so you can still access the treatment you need to live a healthier and happier life. If you could benefit from treatment, nothing should hold you back.